We have a look at seven spectacular river runs to do this winter; from Diep River in the Western Cape to Frogs Trail in Gauteng. To to be sure you are not left you up a creek without a paddle, pros like AJ Calitz, Eric Ngubane and Ryan Sandes offer you tips on how to perform different types of river crossings safely.
There are ways to protect your muscles and increase their power with simple plyometric exercises, as well as advice on returning to running after a lengthy spell out after surgery.
Dr. Mirkin tells you to: “Stop stretching!” and to rather learn five true facts behind muscles.
Choose the best Trail run for you from the 101 featured in and around South Africa, and internationally.
Motivate yourself to tackle a big race by reading some inspiring stories from a 13-year-old trail running prodigy to an underprivileged runner making a go of it.
From 5km beginner to 100-mile ultra runner, there is something for everyone in TRAIL 15, available here as a back issue.
What else is waiting inside issue 15?
- You, the readers, have sent some wonderful photo submissions to the My Life section about your time out on the trail.
- Letters from legends – A TRAIL reader shares a thought-provoking rant about the amount of litter we are leaving behind as runners – time for an attitude change!
- Another reader has sent in a beautiful piece on why trail runners brave the conditions to get out there and run!
- And finally, you tell as over Social Media what matters more than just form, pace and cadence as we pick out some memorable tweets!
- All the details you need to know about seven fantastic water courses. Two trails each from Kwa-Zulu Natal, Gauteng and the Western Cape as well as the stunning Guienea Fowl Trail in the Eastern Cape.
- There are some incredible stories from Trail running stars, and stars in the making.
- Linda Doke and Ryno Griesel tell you about the challenges of their Drakensberg Grand Traverse.
- We profile cover girl Nicolette Griffioen who is never far from her doggy training buddy Dobby.
- Get inspired by the 13-year-old trail prodigy that is Tate Stewart, and equally, be in awe of Kirsten Heath who was selected to go to a Salomon Trail running academy in Italy.
- A monster segment on ways to improve your running with plyometrics as well as the all-in-one goblet squat exercise.
- Injuries are part and parcel of running, but how do you start all over again, especially if surgery has kept you cooped up indoors? Coach Mo, aka Mauritz van Rensburg, has all the answers!
- Perhaps you are also suffering from common runner’s aliments such as Hallux Rigidus (stiff big toe) or Achilles Tendinopathy. We have information that you need to prevent, cure and alleviate these problems.
- An article that is bound to be controversial, Dr. Mirkin tells us five facts behind our muscles which goes against everything we have known before about stretching them.
- It is not all muscles, legs and toes – breathing correctly on your run can convince your body that you are not tired!
- And for all those moms-to-be, there is advice on how to keep running through your pregnancy.
- There are some stories in TRAIL 15 that will inspire you, but there are also some that will terrify you! Hear from Johan Grassman who was chased by a mob wielding machetes and throwing stones while out for a run.
- Readers weigh in with their own dangerous trail encounters, from running away from dogs and ostriches, to avoiding snakes and the biggest danger of all – man! There are tips for you if you are faced with similar dangers.
- Kevin Light’s obsessive preparation for the Marathon des Sables was all for nothing when he was struck down with injury just before the race, but he learnt to not take things so seriously, and urges you to do the same!
- The underrated and almost unheard of Tamarillo is an easy plant to grow yourself that will provide you with a delicious bounty of ‘tree-tomatoes’.
- There is plenty of gear and equipment to discover in the latest issue. A range of shoes, electronic items and hydration solutions all feature, along with some running apparel for these chilly winter months.
- Find out which layers and gloves are best to keep the cold out, and then choose from four jackets to top off your winter wardrobe!
- Super shoes! Six models to choose from.
- Hydration heroes – check out eight different hydration solutions to keep you topped up with fluids.
- Sunglasses, socks, a head torch and even some fuel in to form of Clean Lean Protein in the Shorts section.
- Four insightful books reviewed: Unbreakable Runner by Brian MacKenzie and T.J. Murphy, Everything to Live For: The Inspirational Story of Turia Pitt by Turia Pitt with Libby Harkness, Yoga and Health by Selvarajan Yesudian and Things ewe never kn’ewe about South African place names by Ann Gadd.
- There are four K-Way down jackets to be won; guaranteed to keep out even the coldest conditions.
- There are also three pairs of Julbo Trail running shades for you to win.
- This is a TRAIL magazine subscriber competition, so if you have not already done so, subscribe now!
- There are101 races in the calendar, more than enough for you to find the right one! It could be anything from the Fish River Ultra 100 km Trail in Namibia for all the pros out there, or the more leisurely Tygerberg Full Moon 5km Run.
- The Addo Elephant Trail Run is the featured race, as we also look forward to some changes for 2016, when it returns to a 100-mile run!
- There is a great round up on some of the bigger events over the past few months, including the Pronutro African X, the OMTOM, LoveTrail, Impi, Ingeli SkyMarathon, the Platterklip Challenge, the Merrell Hobbit 100, the Long Distance Trail Championships, JMC and some huge international ultra runs.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, the Fish River Canyon Ultra and the Salomon Skyrun.
Buy TRAIL magazine
TRAIL retails for R58 (print) in 600+ outlets countrywide.
So where do you find TRAIL? SA’s only trail running print magazine is available at CNA, Clicks, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
TRAIL is also available through Magzter.
All back issues are available here, as a single issue or a package deal.