Totally redesigned for maximum legibility on digital devices, including smartphones, TRAIL 38 is 250 pages of trail running goodness, especially for South African readers. Read our Support Guide before you purchase the issue on this site to make the signup easier.
Here’s an overview:
Climb strong, breathe well, peak properly, and beat the heat with TRAIL 38. Identify and treat bites and stings. Run five half-marathon distance trails around the country. Invest in your future runs with 37 products from 20 brands in our Summer Gear Guide. Choose from 70 trail running events in our calendar. TRAIL 38 will ignite your wanderlust, prepare you for the mountains, and have you inspired on the trails!
You’ll find ultra athlete Rachel Manyathi on the cover, image captured by Fahwaaz Cornelius.
Buy TRAIL 38, and all previous issues, digitally.
“I have downloaded the magazine and am absolutely loving it! I am really sad to say though, that I’ve read it so fast that I’ve almost finished it already! I love how much content there is, and am really enjoying the links to videos in the articles that one would not be able to have in the print edition. Thank you once again!” Amy V
What else is waiting inside TRAIL 38?
- Take a peek into the lives of other trail runners in our reader photos section, with action shots all over South Africa.
- Read Malikah Madatt’s letter about the many faces of the 13 Peaks Challenge. Our letter writers are rewarded with Feetures socks for their efforts.
- Magan Hanekom, Dalene van Staden, and Caro Jordaan summit all 15 Table Mountains in the Western Cape.
- In this issue’s TrailTalk, hear our reader’s favourite run quotes, opinions on running in the heat, and their ultra running goals.
- TRAIL 38 has a 20-page Summer Gear Guide packed with 37 products from 20 brands.
- See some of the latest offerings from adidas, Aonijie, ASICS, Brooks, Capestorm, Druid’s Garden, Enduren Nutrition, First Ascent, Feetures, Gegrond, Hario, inov-8, Runderwear, Petzl, Saucony, Salomon, Squirrel’s Nut Butter, Tifosi, Trailhounds, and Triple Orange.
- Win one of two Saucony Haul Lite Hydration Packs worth R2,599 each in our 2020/21 Trail Film Awards.
- Five half marathon distance trails around SA to find your flow.
- Catch up with South Africans pushing boundaries: Werner van Rooyen chasing the spirit of Caballo Blanco in the Copper Canyons of Mexico, and Damien Schumann and Clyde Berning run 350km from Eden to Addo to keep the biodiversity corridor open.
- The Garden Route’s Emma Rorke shares her love for trail, from mountain peaks to forested valleys.
- Learn from the illness and recovery of young fit people surviving Corona: Thabang Madiba, Mark Collins, Martin Clement, and Lindsay Schoenrock.
- The submissions for our 2020 Bestest Awards were superb, and the winners have been chosen. Find out who won Most Garden Mileage, Best Trail Dog, Gnarliest War Wound, Trail Hero of the Year, and more!
- Jo Keppler uses her second chance at life to run for change, and fundraise for the Southern Lodestar Foundation.
- Young Hubri (12), and Anthony (12) are TRAIL 38’s featured TrailKids.
- Cover athlete Rachel Manyathi (44) shares her most epic ultra running adventures, the other runners who inspire her, and why she enjoys getting lost on the mountain.
- Peak right and avoid the super plods with Coach Neville.
- Build posterior chain strength for better climbing with Fitness From Africa coach Brendan McBirnie.
- Cultivating flow. High performance coach Craig Carolan shares positive psychology to help you reach maximum gratification on the trail.
- “I really struggle with the heat. It makes me avoid doing any long summer races on the trail, so I usually just stick to shorter road races. Any tips for preparing for and dealing with the heat?” Sean Tait of Off the Mark training gives a detailed answer to this question, to Help you beat the heat.
- Learn to breath to maximise your running performance, with cardiopulmonary physiotherapist Samantha Holtzhausen.
- One muscle dominating another can cause injuries. Physiotherapist Dawn Nunes explores three common imbalances and how to correct them.
Nutrition & Health
- Make shawarma mushrooms and chocolate chunk gingerbread muffins with Zissy Lewin of Nutreats.
- Use the power of grounding to reduce inflammation and more, says Durban biokineticist Stephan Terblanche.
- Ensure your calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous are at the right level with clinical dietitian Slava de Gouveia.
- Avoid and treat insect bites and stings this summer. Life support medic Alet Maartens shows you how.
- We look back at some of the bigger virtual trail races that have taken place in South Africa, including Heaven and Hell Mountain Marathon, Otter African Trail Run, and K-Way SkyRun.
- We list 70 trail running events from January to April 2021 taking place across South Africa. Get the details and start lining them up with the help of our month-ahead online calendar!
- Are your shoes tracking invasive species through your beloved natural spaces? Kyle Smith of SANParks wants you to understand the impact.
- See the 2021 Trail Film Awards entries so far!
- We review hike-booking website Afritrails.
- Andrew Warriner reviews Travis Gale’s book, The Middle.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon, and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, Addo Elephant Trail Run, Ultra-trail Cape Town, and the K-Way SkyRun.
You’re covered whether you read on iPad, Android, iPhone, Kindle, laptop, or desktop devices. Available as single copy or multiple issue subscriptions.
On sale worldwide from 21 December 2020.
Buy print back issues of TRAIL magazine
Events, give your runners that something special. Enquire about quantities of our previous issue.