“Do low-risk, high-value training throughout the year, and save the big effort for the right moment!” says Andrew. “Executing your perfect descent is not about taking risks – it is about unwavering concentration and confidence in your ability.”
Get down that hill in a blitz by developing your strength, resilience, and technique, while maintaining focus and seeking opportunities.
Adding to his lessons, Dirk Cloete has an ace proprioception exercise for your balance and reactions. Dirk has tips to build your confidence, where to look, and some bonus wisdom learned from Kilian Jornet.
That technical descent won’t stand a chance!
Dive into scads of guidance for gear and training from the experienced and the expert, with an emphasis on preventing injury.
TRAIL magazine issue 14 and all other back issues are available here, as a single issue or a package deal.
What else is waiting inside issue 14?
- We get to see some great photos in the My Life photo section. You can win a Canon S200 compact digital wi-fi camera, which shoots HD video, when you send us your trail running happy snaps.
- Letters from legends – TRAIL readers share inspiring – and painful – stories.
- Share a learning curve with Andrew Wesson running four 100km races in an effort to shed his novice status.
- Build up to running an ultra with Coach Mo aka Mauritz van Rensburg!
- Use your body and mind to blitz downhill with three-time winner of the Three Peaks Challenge, Andrew Hagen.
- Swing a kettlebell to balance your hips and get your gluteus into gear with trainer Peri Zourides.
- Prevent stress fractures, and at the least spot the warning signs before you end up in a moon boot. Physio and ultra runner Garth Oliver will show you how.
- Strengthen your plantar fascia with five drills. Running coach, Sean Tait has techniques to side-step plantar fasciitis.
- Be still and breath while you release your hips. Helen Weaver uses yoga to improve your running.
- Grow a superfood in your backyard: sweet potato leaves and tubers pack a nutritional punch.
- Kick the sugar and replenish your salt for better health and recovery. Nutritionist Lucy Etherton shows you how to conquer your sugaholism, and Dr. Gabe Mirkin explores the benefits of maintaining sodium levels.
A team of trail runners find you six nature reserves to run in Gauteng, KZN, and the Western Cape:
- Melville Koppies
- Moreleta Kloof
- Vernon Crookes
- Hano Maree has started the South African 100 Marathon Club.
- Eric Ngubane made a wise and successful transition from road to trail.
- Kilian Jornet set a new FKT for the ascent and descent of Aconcagua in the Andes.
- Chris Crewdson has run the Otter Trail route 21 times, and the world is a better place with him in it.
- The MAD2Run team gets ready to raise money for the Make A Difference foundation, in support of education in SA.
- Nikki Kimball prepares for the four day, 150km Richtersveld Wildrun in June.
- Ben Brimble not only runs to win races, but to catch hijackers and explore the mountains. John Brimble chimes in about his proudest and scariest moments as Ben’s father.
- Choose the right sports bra: size, features, and fit.
- When and how to wash your trail shoes with podiatrist Dennis Rehbock.
- Choose the right gear for the job: Get gear tips from AJ Calitz, Kevin Flanagan, Andre Gie, Jock Green, Megan Mackenzie, Ryan Sandes, Liandi van der Westhuyzen, and Dom Wills.
- Winter warmth apparel? We got it, with seven great active clothing options for the chilly trails.
- Super shoes! Six models to choose from.
- Hydration heroes – check out four popular models.
- Electric dreams of GPS, Heart Rate Monitors, some even strapless!
- Six insightful books reviewed: Passes and Poorts South Africa by Marion Whitehead, Courage to Lead by Daphna Horowitz, South Africa For South Africans by Mariëlle Renssen and Hirsh Aronowitz, Drink This in by Chris and Luke Muller, The Brain Surgeon’s Diet by Dr Adriaan Liebenberg, and Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer.
- Win a CamelBak hydration system. Two Circuit 1.5L and two Chute Bottles to be won.
- Use social media to win one of three pairs of Salomon X-SCREAM 3D shoes.
- Survive Honduras with team Eat.Run.See: Saffas Bev and Richard Attfield.
- Capetonian in exile, Ian Little, examines lotteries for oversubscribed event entries at a Western States 100 Lottery Party.
- Shoeless in New York: get cheered on by NYC with Kevin Light without a watch or shoes.
- Red Bull LionHeart
- Salomon Skyrun
- Merrell Hobbit 100km Trail Run
- Umhlanga Summer Festival Trail Run
- TRAIL mag Valentine’s Day Trail Run
- Ultra Trail Mount Moodie
- Spur Silvermone Mountain XL
- XTERRA Trail World Championship
- Hong Kong 100
- Coastal Challenge
- Run the Rann
- Sabrina Love Coastal Challenge Trail Run feature
- Calendar: 97 great trail running events listed!
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, the Fish River Canyon Ultra and the Salomon Skyrun.
Buy TRAIL magazine
TRAIL retails for R58 (print) in 600+ outlets countrywide.
So where do you find TRAIL? SA’s only trail running print magazine is available at CNA, Clicks, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
TRAIL is also available through Magzter.
All back issues are available here, as a single issue or a package deal.