This is an unsupported mountain run over approximately 220km of rugged Drakensberg terrain. They ran a phenomenal new time, nearly dipping under 40 hours.
The event garnered international attention and was heavily covered by Red Bull’s media channels.
Read TRAIL magazine’s interview with the amiable, thoughtful strategist for his insights into the outdoor life and his motivations to push his limits. He shares what has inspired him over the years and why he recently changed his life’s path to follow his dreams.
You can read his pre-Drakensberg Grand Traverse interview here.
TRAIL issue 11’s cover was photographed by top South African outdoor adventure photographer Kelvin Trautman in the narrowest of good lighting windows a day before their quest began.
What’s in TRAIL 11?
For trail runners nationwide and digital subscribers worldwide, TRAIL issue 11 is the perfect winter blues antidote and ever-present companion (in print and digital) to inspire and motivate anyone with a love for adventure to be the very best they can.
TRAIL magazine is available on shelves countrywide (Spar, CNA, Pick n Pay, Dis-Chem, Sportsmans Warehouse, Outdoor Warehouse, selected petrol stations, and many others).
Buy this back issue now.
Check out what’s in issue 11:
READERS ARE OUR FOCUS
- Your photo adventures showcases inspiring imagery from readers’ latest offroad capers, involving yoga tree poses, superheroes and dodging with death.
- Letters from trail enthusiasts Juan Lombaard, Burgert Maree, Stephen Brown and Suyen Thornhill.
- “I knew I was #hookedontrailrunning when…” (and it gets weird from here).
PLACES TO TRAIL RUN
- Run the super-tough but oh so beautiful Hout Bay Trail Challenge route in Cape Town with photojournalist Jacques Marais.
EVENTS TO TRAIL RUN
- The debut Molweni Trail Run proved a lot tougher than anyone expected and we have the photos and runner quotes to prove it.
- Choose from over 80 great events listed, with their latest details confirmed with organisers.
- Win a TomTom Runner GPS watch worth over R2,000 by doing TRAIL’s Reader Survey. Competition closes 30 June 2014.
- What you need to do to run a faster second half, with Coach Mauritz Jansen van Rensburg.
- Four lacing techniques with sport scientist Ryan Hodierne.
- Cut yourself some slack says life coach and ultra runner Sue Fuller-Good.
- Cold killer: winter tales from Mark Collins and others.
- Foot care 101 by foot care guru John Vonhof.
- Learn the benefits and technique to do downward dog with yogi Helen Weaver.
- Injured again? It could be your big toe. Exercises to strengthen it with chiropractor Dr Grant Harper.
- No single diet is perfect, says exercise physiologist, nutritional therapist, NLP practitioner and endurance coach Ian Craig.
- Hemp: looks illegal, let’s eat and drink it!
- Years in the planning. Ryno Griesel took on the Drakensberg Grand Traverse with Ryan Sandes and set a new FKT of close to 40 hours. Read our article for his insights into the outdoor life and motivations to do what he does (Read his pre-Drakensberg Grand Traverse interview here).
- Shoe Show: 11 models from Brooks, Mizuno, Reebok, Salomon and Saucony including expert fitting advice.
- Winter Guide: 12 warm clothing solutions, layering tips.
- Tests: two multi-vitamin supplements from Nativa, stunning Good Green Stuff from plant-based NuZest in New Zealand and preventing chafing with FiT Laboratories’ Chamois Cream.
- Nine must-read books from Exclusive Books including the excellent The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton.
- Cut yourself some slack with lifestyle expert Sue Fuller-Good
- Kevin Light visits Barcelona for a little 42km road race and goes Gaudi gaga.
About: TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then it has enlightened its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run and the arduous Skyrun.
Buy this back issue now.
Buy TRAIL magazine
TRAIL retails for R58 (print) in 600+ outlets countrywide.
So where do you find TRAIL? SA’s only trail running print magazine is available at CNA, Clicks, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
TRAIL is also available through Magzter.
All back issues are available here, as a single issue or a package deal.