Climb into the shade of five superb plantation runs, get up to speed with trail community jargon, and hop ladders for agility. Even in the heat, get it done without dehydration getting you down! Build your runner mindset superpowers, and choose from 97 South African trail running events in our calendar. TRAIL 33 will have you blister-resistant, inspired, and strong on your feet!
You’ll find the community builder Stuart McConnachie on the cover, image captured by Simon Pocock.
Get energised this spring and read on to discover what’s in TRAIL 33…
What else is waiting inside TRAIL 33?
- Take a peek into the lives of other trail runners in our reader photos section, with action shots all over South Africa.
- Read Olga Thangavay’s letter about her first ultra journey with the love of her husband, and two more stories from readers. Our letter writers are rewarded with Feetures socks for their efforts.
- In this issue’s TrailTalk, update your vocabulary with trail runner jargon, from boskak to wizard sticks.
- TRAIL 33 has an 8-page Spring Gear Guide, packed with 38 products! We feature a selection from Biogen, Brooks, Capestorm, Enduren Nutrition, Falke, First Ascent, Julbo, Kalenji, KURO-Bo, Hi-Tec, Patagonia, Runderwear, Rugani, Salomon, Saucony, Squirrel’s Nut Butter, Super Scoop, Suunto, and Triple Orange.
- Get up to pace with fast-packing: What to carry, where to run with it, and how to make the most of your long trek! Andy Wesson and Naomi Brand answer any possible questions.
- Beat blisters with podiatrist, shoe expert, and ultra runner Craig Gornall of The Sweat Shop Bedfordview.
- We found five plantation runs from around SA where you can trot under the shade of mighty trees in safety.
- Catch up with South Africans running across the globe: Matt te Water and Kevin Dornbrack in eSwatini, Morag Faulds in Greece, Riana Scholtz in Morocco, Ryan Sandes, Jock Green, and Nic de Beer racing in the USA, and hordes of Saffas racing on and around Mont Blanc.
- Mountain-running Rae Trew-Browne shares his trail manifesto.
- The Lion King Siviwe Nkombi has been running fast since he was in an Eastern Cape village, trotting to primary school. Now he’s winning races all over the Western Cape and has stories to share, from dog bites to Olympic inspiration.
- Andre Redinger runs 100 milers all over the world, and while he’s not running he is feeding the malnourished youth of Africa through the Southern Lodestar Foundation and Millhouse. Find out what motivates both mighty feats.
- For the love of experience, Tracy Berry is running as many trails as she can get her tekkies on in the Western Cape.
- Matt te Water and Kevin Dornbrack circumnavigate eSwatini and challenge you to do the same! 630km in 15 days, 4 hours, and 46 minutes…
- Cover athlete Stuart McConnachie (42) opens up about fatherhood, the origins of Tuesday Trails and UTCT, and SA trail running culture.
- Get up to speed with Coach Neville, and build the best speed and stamina training sessions for your abilities!
- Don’t let yourself get thirsty. Doctor Rosie Carey, and event medic Conya Reid highlight dehydration red flags, and advise safety precautions, as well as treatment.
- Wrap your head around holistic coach Ian Waddell‘s 10 mental superpowers.
- Keep your muscles and nerves wide awake with six activations from biokineticist Anca Wessels and trainer Ashley Robinson.
- “What drills can I do to prevent myself getting injured on the trail? I seem to be brittle and accident-prone!” Sean Tait of Off the Mark training gives a detailed answer to this question, with six super agility ladder drills!
- Dance yourself fit and nimble with gym instructor and personal trainer Natasha Wallendorf, with input from a ballerina, ballroom dancer, hip hopper, and a Zumba instructor!
- Go nuts for the value of nuts in your diet, and their seedy alternative, with Zissy Lewin of Nutreats.
- Trail snack or tea-time treat: Make Zissy’s trail mix granola bars. Mix it up with nuts, seeds, or both, and maybe even a drizzle of chocolate.
- Turn almonds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds into a nutty spread with our simple butter recipe.
- Avoid the trap of eating too clean with dietitian and elite trail runner Toni McCann, who shares her own experiences with orthorexia.
- We look back at some of the bigger trail races that have taken place in South Africa, including The Oxpecker Trail Run, Wolkberg Trail Run, Pondo Trail, George MUT, Jack Russell Run, Crossways Challenge, Zini Beach & Bush Trail Run, Chokka Trail Run, Umngeni River Run, Magaliesberg Challenge, Table Mountain Challenge, and Mont-aux-Sources Challenge.
- Enter the 2019 Trail Film Awards with us!
- There are 97 trail running events from October to December 2019 taking place across South Africa, and beyond. Get the details and start lining them up with the help of our month-ahead online calendar!
- We are reporting good news for the planet! Algae blooms to make shoes, solving the world’s problems with gardens, vulture safe zones, and divestment from antiquated energy sources will have you cheering for the future.
- Figure out food from the fungi you find in forests and other fun locations. Jon McGillivray talks mushrooms!
- Reclaiming the Drakensberg one tree at a time, Mark McTaggart unites the Pine Busters for the good of the mountain range.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon, and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, Addo Elephant Trail Run, Ultra-trail Cape Town, and the K-Way SkyRun.
TRAIL retails for R60 (print) and is available at CNA, Clicks, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
The digital version is available at Zinio for iPad, Android, iPhone, laptop and desktop devices in single issue and six issue subscriptions. TRAIL 33 is also available through Amazon, Apple Newsstand, Google Play, and Magzter.
On sale from 23 September to 15 December 2019.
Digital subscribers got their copies on Monday 23 September.
Buy bulk back issues of TRAIL magazine
Events, give your runners that something special. Enquire about quantities of our previous issue.