Get high with five altitude trails, reader opinions on CBD oil, and simulate mountains even in a city. All that while avoiding altitude sickness! Build your mileage and speed with caution, and choose from over 90 South African trail running events in our calendar. TRAIL 31 will have you mountain-fit, tough through the rough, and on your feet!
Get hyped for autumn and read on to discover what’s in TRAIL 31…
What else is waiting inside TRAIL 31?
- Take a peek into the lives of other trail runners in our reader photos section, with action shots all over South Africa.
- Read Kim van Kets’ letter about her break from 30 years of running, and two more stories from readers. Our letter writers are rewarded with Feetures socks for their efforts.
- In this issue’s TrailTalk, listen in on the debate around cannabis use in racing, CBD and THC.
- We announce the winners of the 2018 Trail Film Awards.
- TRAIL 31 has a 10-page Autumn Gear Guide, packed with 40 products! We feature a selection from Biogen, Brooks, BUFF, Capestorm, Dr. Cool, Enduren Nutrition, Feetures, First Ascent, The Fry Family Food Co, Hoka One One, Hydro Flask, Injinji, Julbo, KURO-Bō, Muc-Off, Osprey, Patagonia, Pekant, Rugani, Salomon, Saucony, SPOT, Squirrel’s Nut Butter, Super Scoop, Suunto, Triple Orange, and Well Now Co.
- Win the new Salomon Speedcross 5 trail shoe!
- Figure out when to retire your shoes with expert Grant Bryant of RUN Specialist Store.
- We found five high altitude runs from around SA that will give you a chance to train for mountain races, or just earn a view at the top.
- Catch up with South Africans running across the globe: Ryan Sandes in New Zealand, Altie Clark on Gran Canaria, Caitlin Lewis racing in Alaska, and Marzelle Van der Merwe exploring USA.
- Mountain-lover Mike Tredway shares his life-changing manifesto.
- Octogenarian Jan van den Berg shares the secret of running late into your life.
- Sunnye Collins holds weekly Read & Run sessions with Greyton Primary students to give them a better start in life.
- Run 13 Peaks with Ryan Sandes in his latest FKT challenge!
- Meet the speedy youngsters of Inanda Trail Running Club. Mmeli Ndimande is helping them realise their dreams, and brightening their futures.
- Trail It Forward with Conrad du Toit! He hosts monthly raffles to raise money for needy athletes, and you can win gear and race entries.
- Cover athlete Hylton Dunn opens up. He redeemed his early years of addiction through running, and has spent the last decade winning endurance races.
- In aid of pangolin conservation, Naomi Brand and Xavier Briel ran 1,482km Around Lake Malawi.
- “How do I train for mountains when I live in a flat town?” Sean Tait of Off the Mark training gives a Capestorm, showing readers how to take advantage of inclines and opportunities in their environment.
- With Coach Neville‘s guidance you can try to increase your speed and volume without getting injured.
- Sick of altitude? Mountain man Gavin Raubenheimer and Dr Andre Gie explain what forms altitude sickness can take, and how to avoid it. Elite athlete and coach Landie Greyling gives her practical mountain racing perspective.
- A strong mind and some creative thinking can get you out of a mid-race funk, says life coach Marie Snyman-Jacobs. Use her guide to find resilience!
- Coach Elsabé Hunter provides three Plyometric exercises for explosive strength in part four of her strength training for runners series.
The art of not falling: Mountain climber and runner Karine Bezuidenhout, trail runner and coach Nic De Beer, mountain lover Rachel Manyathi, coach and elite athlete Meg Mackenzie, Skyrunner Lucky Miya, and endurance athlete Nicky Booyens offer their practical guidance to keep you on your feet.
Work out anywhere, any time with five skipping rope moves from personal trainer Rhain Hoskins, owner of The IRON Movement. Super useful with shorter days and cooler temperatures on the way!
- Train your brain for calm and focus with meditation master Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche.
- Eat more vegetables that taste great! Leozette Roode knows the benefits of veggies in our diets, and can help you make small tweaks to your meals, maximising nutritional value.
- Feed your whole family with a crowd-pleasing pasta broccoli bake.
- Make Leozette‘s Thai noodle soup to warm up those autumn evenings.
- Hack your post-workout eating window with dietitian Keri Strachan.
- We look back at some of the bigger trail races that have taken place in South Africa, including Ultra-trail Cape Town, Three Cranes Challenge, Wild Coast Challenge, Batrun, Blythedale Trail Run, Fresh @Groenkloof, and Africa’s Wildest Ultra: Addo Elephant Trail Run.
- Find out who won our 2018 Trail Film Awards!
- There are 96 trail running events from April to July 2019 taking place across South Africa, and beyond. Get the details and start lining them up with the help of our month-ahead online calendar!
- Take care of your lungs and health by avoiding PM2.5 pollution.
- Understand the value of trees for rainfall, divest from fossil fuels, and learn about global moves towards conservation in our Green Shorts.
TRAIL magazine became South Africa’s first print publication dedicated to the booming worldwide activity of trail running in December 2011.
Since then the mag continues to enlighten its growing readership with the best places to run, the most suitable gear and the most popular trail running events from every angle; visiting the Himalayas, Sahara Desert, Amazon, and many local trails, including the famed Otter African Trail Run, Addo Elephant Trail Run, Ultra-trail Cape Town, and the K-Way SkyRun.
TRAIL retails for R58 (print) and is available at CNA, SPAR, Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books, Sportsmans Warehouse, Outdoor Warehouse stores, and specialist sports retailers nationwide.
The digital version is available at Zinio for iPad, Android, iPhone, laptop and desktop devices in single issue and six issue subscriptions. TRAIL 31 is also available through Amazon, Apple Newsstand, Google Play, and Magzter.
Issue 31 was mailed to print subscribers on Friday 14 December 2018, from Cape Town.
On sale from 1 April to 20 June 2019.
Digital subscribers got their copies on Friday 29 March.
Buy bulk back issues of TRAIL magazine
Events, give your runners that something special. Enquire about quantities of our previous issue.