Cape Trail Clinic 2019
Enjoy two days of trail running revelations and fun with the TRAIL magazine team and Cape Town-based collaborators! Our speakers will take your running and health to new levels at Cape Trail Clinic 2019.
- Nic De Beer
- Sean Tait
- Devon Coetzee
- Ian Waddell
- Heloise Hunter
- Deon Braun
Add yourself to our trail clinics mailing list by completing this short survey.
Overview of our Trail Clinics.
Quick info 2018 Cape Trail Clinic:
- Date: Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 November 2019
- Duration: 6:30am sign-in for 7am start to end no later than 4pm (with breaks for refreshments and a very healthy lunch)
- Venue: DF Malan Hall, University of Stellenbosch, Coetzenburg (note: this is to be confirmed. We may utilise a different lecture hall in 2019)
- Itinerary: Scroll to the bottom of this page
- Book by midnight 30 August for R2,200 instead of R2,400. Only runners who book before then are eligible for the Brooks Cascadia 13 trail shoe prize. Early entries also go into the draw to win a 2020 Addo Elephant Trail Run 44km entry worth R950, as well as Feetures socks and other prizes.
- Book with one (or two or three) friends and save!
- You need: Trail shoes, trail apparel, hydration pack (for fitting if you want assistance), track suit, jacket, comfortable social clothing, toiletries, towel, yoga mat, sunblock, and a cap.
Entries close at midnight on Friday 18 October 2019, but if you’ve missed this cutoff, email Deon to put yourself on our waiting list in case a seat becomes available.
Win Brooks Cascadia 13 shoes!
Being enlightened and inspired is not all that happens at Cape Trail Clinic! Just by booking by 30 August and attending both days, you could win the best-selling Brooks Cascadia trail shoe. The Cascadia 13 is the newest iteration of the company’s most popular trail running shoe. It’s worth R2,399 per pair.
Brooks refined the stability system on the Cascadia 13 to be more flexible, allowing you to feel more agile on the trail without sacrificing the cushioning and protection you’ve come to love from the Cascadia. Buy the Men | Women models online.
If the Cascadia is not your first choice, you can swop it out for a different model Brooks running shoe to the same value.
If you win the shoe in the draw, you’ll be refunded for your prize, or you can choose to keep both. Ain’t life sweet?
What you get at Cape Trail Clinic:
- A fun, interactive, life-changing two days.
- Inspiring speakers and practical demonstrations that will blow your mind, and re-jig your thinking.
- A chance to win one pair of Brooks Cascadia 13 trail shoes worth R2,399! (Only for entries by midnight 30 August 2019.)
- A chance to win an Addo Elephant Trail Run 44km entry worth R900.
- A whopping 20% discount on Brooks products through RUN Specialist Store.
- A Brooks goodie bag, with Brooks head tube.
- A Pekant bar and nuts sampler.
- Biogen product hamper.
- Three TRAIL magazine back issues (R150 value) for bookings by 30 August.
- Dirty Boots adventure destinations booklet.
- A shoe assessment from Grant Bryant, a shoe sales professional, and owner of RUN Specialist Store (please request one).
- Knowledge about injury prevention, as well as an evaluation from a physiotherapist during the class if you request it.
- Usable tips and tweaks that could save you lots of frustration, injuries, money, and time.
- Meeting experienced trail runners and coaches who share what works well for them.
- Ingredients to make your own race food in a fun (and delicious) practical session.
- Tasty nutritious lunches, smoothies, as well as own-made snacks to take with you on our runs.
- Practical demonstrations to make these and incorporate them into your own life.
- Professional photos taken available to you after the course via our Facebook album.
See you on Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 November 2019!
Comments from previous attendees
Thank you for an amazing Trail Trail Clinic in Cape Town, loaded with info and tips from experts in the field of trail running. My wife and I learned so much from every speaker.
Devon Coetzee equals dynamite! Wow, what a workout! We loved the fact that this professional biokineticist (trail runner himself) put a strengthening programme together, which focused on our “trail running muscles”. Ouch!
Sean Tait, what a coach! I will recommend you to any trail runner out there. Great workout and valuable advice!
From an injury point of view, the exercises and lecture from physiotherapist
To Deon and Heloise, thanks for all the big and small pleasures, and many laughs. We had a great time. Can’t wait to dive into my new copy of TRAIL magazine! Deon your advice on nutrition, books and the tasty and healthy smoothies were great!
And to Brooks, a HUGE thank you for my new pair of trail running shoes! If you see someone rushing down the boulders, in a new pair of PureGrit 4s, it’s me – implementing my new knowledge and testing my new gear!
Michael and Bernette Cotter, Stellenbosch (attended January 2016 Clinic)
Dit het my verwagtings oortref. Ons sê dat jy is nooit te oud om te leer nie,maar dit het ek die naweek net weer besef, dit is ‘n waarheid. Ek het met groot verwagting na die kliniek vertrek en in alle opsigte is my verwagtings oortref. Van af die oomblik dat ek daar gekom het tot ek daar gery het was ‘n belewenis.
Dankie vir jul manier om almal welkom en op hul gemak te laat voel,die positiewe energie wat van jou en Heloise af deurkom is fantasties en jul sprekers was absoluut puik. Elkeen het ‘n besondere bydrae tot jul naweek gemaak.
Ek het baie geleer en baie uit dit geneem en my eie doelwitte vir Trail Running het ‘n hupstoot ontvang en mik ek na verseker nuwe groter uitdagings.
Deon jul het verseker ‘n wen resep beet en ‘n great span en ek glo dat jy besig is om mense se lewens te verryk en daarmee baie geluk.
Ek sal nog my gedagtes laat gaan oor voorstelle en vir jou laat weet, op die oomblik geniet ek nog net die lekker van wat ek beleef het. (Dear reader, don’t read/speak Afrikaans? Sies! But no worries, Google Translate is your friend.)
Groete, Lukas Van Vuuren (attended Cape Clinic November 2016 in Stellenbosch)
Thank you to ALL OF YOU for making the weekend one I will treasure always – I left having learned so much about trail running, my strengths and the areas I can improve in, made new friends/contacts/future besties, connected with very humble heroes (in my opinion) and have also uncovered some deep insights about what motivates me (thank you Kevin Light!). I look forward to many new adventures connecting and engaging with the trails and with some of you too.
Christine Barrow, North American Academy for Sport Fitness Professionals (NAASFP) Certified Marathon Coach (attended Cape Clinic November 2016 in Stellenbosch)
Such a great TRAIL magazine Cape Trail Clinic this weekend! So cool to be apart of it, meet new people, and learn from other like-minded individuals. I feel inspired to not only improve my running, but as a person and in life too! Thanks Deon Braun, Heloise Hunter, Nic De Beer, Sean Tait, Chris Allan, Kevin Light, Devon Coetzee, Grant Bryant from RUN, and Brad Player and Dennis Hines from Brooksrunningsa for sharing your passion and knowledge of trail running!
Jan Ham, Jnr (attended Cape Clinic November 2016 in Stellenbosch)
Itinerary 2018 (sample)
(Subject to change for our 2019 Cape Clinic.)
Day 1 of Cape Trail Clinic
Saturday 3 November 2018
6:30am Registration opens. (15min)
6:45am Take seats. Deon, Heloise, and Jaco welcome you. A fun introduce yourself session. Everyone shares a few insights about themselves. (20min)
7:05am TRAIL founder Deon Braun gives a brief overview of the course and Day One’s speakers. (5min)
7:10am Brief Brooks video and brand intro with Brad Player of Brooks Running. Brooks trail shoe demo and fitting with Grant Bryant of RUN Specialist Store. (50min. Shoes will be available for fitting and purchase on both days.)
8am Short break. (5min)
8:05am Heloise introduces coach and keen trail runner Robert Henning who talks on maximising your training. (60min)
9:05am Gear up, warm up. (10min)
9:15am Outdoor coaching session with Robert Henning. (90min)
10:45am Return to venue, towel down, change of clothing if required/tracksuits. (10min)
10:55am Ultrarunner and coach Nic De Beer shares how he trains for races, including his wins at the 76km Addo Elephant Trail Run (2015 and 2016). He includes his race slideshow plus techniques for our uphill/downhill running session in next session. (30min)
11:25am Get outside. Do warm-up drills, then run/walk/talk for technique tips with Nic and team, with tried-and-tested techniques. Emphasis on technique, not distance or time run. (90min)
12:55am Return to lecture room, towel down, change of clothing if required, eat lunch. (30min)
1:25pm TRAIL magazine’s Heloise Hunter teaches you how to make rice cakes and coconut/oat/date balls in a practical, interactive, fun session. Be ready to be volunteered! (60 min)
2:25pm Q&A with any of the experts. (20 min)
2:45pm Group photos. (10min)
2:55pm Go home to absorb what you’ve learned – and recover!
Day 2 of Cape Trail Clinic
Sunday 4 November 2018
7am Take seats, welcome by Deon Braun and Heloise Hunter.
7:10am TRAIL assistant editor Heloise Hunter talks about hydration packs, and other options to stay hydrated on your adventures. Bring your existing pack/s for the team to check your fitting and suggest minor adjustments. (45min)
8am Move to floor for sports scientist Devon Coetzee‘s strength training (60min)
9am Towel down. (10min)
9:10am Snacks, coffee, and chats. (30min)
9:40am Sports physiotherapist Kim Buchholtz talks on injuries, prevention, DIY remedies. (60min)
10:40am Short break. (5min)
10:45am Psychologist Anton Böhmer talks about the mental aspects of trail running. (60min)
11:45am Short break. (5min)
11:50am TRAIL founder Deon Braun talks about optimising your nutrition with wholefood eating. He shares information about avoiding illnesses, and getting you into your ideal weight range ahead of major events. (60min)
1:10pm Deon Braun and Heloise Hunter thank sponsors and speakers. (10min)
1:20pm Close. Socialise. Hugs. Crying. Laughing. Be inspired. Happy trails!
2pm Optional 5-10km run on Stellenbosch trails with TRAIL crew.