The Trail Film Awards will showcase trail running films produced by South African citizens. International filmmakers may also submit their works into the international category, but are not eligible for prizes. Scroll down to explore the Saucony shoe and Hi-Tec apparel prizes on offer.
The Annapurna Circuit byFoot (8 min) by Ranger byFoot
Chasing the Prodigal (6 min) by Lost in South Africa
The sounds of 100 miles (3 min) by Rae Browne
Inspirational running video (3 min) by The Endangered Malpas
Film Awards submissions under 120 seconds in duration.
International entry Running Solo 4000kms Across 4 African Countries – Namibian Desert (1:35) by Nautilus Studios
RUN Inspire & motivate (1:59) by The Endangered Malpas
Journey of Perception (1:38) by Normedia Productions
Robertson Run (1:59) by Juan Scholtz
Back to basics (0:45) by Maureen van den Bergh
Pro entry Hundred Mile Horizon (36 min) by Amehlo Productions
Pro entry Ultra-Trail® Drakensberg 2018 (7 min) by Danegerous Pictures
Pro entry 36HOURS 100MILES (28 min) by 369 Communications
Trail Running | Chokka 62km 2018 (5 min) by Pierre Prins
SPCA Trail run 2017 (5 min) by Maureen van den Bergh
The Leopard Run (4 min) by Andre Hugo Media
Pushing my limits at the Otter African Trail Run! (15 min) by Roughing It With Ruth
The Hi-Tec hamper consists of
- Orion 3-in-one jacket worth R1500 (women’s model shown below)
- Camina 25 litre backpack worth R499
- Cotton wash cap worth R169
The Saucony prize is the brand-new Peregrine 8 trail shoe, which one winner will walk, er, run away in!
Trail Film Awards categories
Your film can be from any of the following genres (and feel free to create your own new genre!):
• Fiction (drama, comedy, etc.)
• Shorts (under two minutes)
• Event films
• International* (not eligible for prizes, but submissions will get recognition)
Films will be showcased on this page, and promoted through our social media channels. Click here to view our current submissions!
A truly South African affair
We are fans of the Trails in Motion Film Festival (which mostly screens international films) and the Cape Union Mart Adventure Film Challenge during the Banff Film Festival. The SA Trail Film Awards are in no way a replication of their good work, as the focus is quite different.
There are currently no official Awards for South African trail running films that we know of, and our goal is to develop a vehicle to do that.
We think this kind of exposure for South African filmmakers should be encouraged and developed because this will boost creativity and pride in South Africa’s vibrant trail running scene.
We value feedback from fellow creatives who want to make a meaningful difference to the future of South Africa.
We look forward to hearing from you if the Trail Film Awards ring a bell of excitement in your soul.
Email your film’s link to email@example.com.
Rules and Dates
- Films produced between 15 December 2017 and 21 December 2018 are eligible.
- Submit two film entries maximum. (We previously allowed unlimited entries but realised this could lead to an inordinately large number of entries.)
- You have to be the creator of each film submitted.
- Only SA citizens resident in South Africa are eligible for prizes*.
- The Readers’ Choice winner will be chosen by TRAIL readers, with the voting process starting on 1 November 2018 and ending on Friday 18 January 2019.
- The Editors’ Choice winner will be chosen by a panel of South African trail running film experts. View the panel of judges below.
- Judge and voting decisions are final.
- Prizes will be delivered to the winners by the brands in January 2019.
- Final submission date is midday on Friday 21 December 2018
- Winners announced Friday 25 January 2019