We strive to make your advertising effective (and fun)
We believe that niche marketing is one powerful and effective way. Our aim is focused: to connect South African-based trail running and lifestyle-aligned brands with South African trail runners. TRAIL readers are adventurous, fun-loving people. They place a high premium on being outdoors. They love running, hiking, and being active, fit, and healthy.
We also work with international events keen to target South African runners.
“We have had more enquiries via our website in the last month from runners than we have had all year, and we are pretty sure that this is because of our ads in your fab mag. We are super chuffed.” Emma Brown, Trailnuggets.
“I want to thank you for your input, words of encouragement, and expertise you share with me. It is and will always be highly appreciated. Since the campaign launched I received 15 orders for R20,000. Thank you!” Terblanche Fourie, Weekend Warriors (Aonijie hydration brand).
TRAIL is quarterly. Deadlines for 2021 are:
- Jan/Feb/Mar 2021 (issue 38) Booking 26 Oct, Material 2 Nov, on sale 14 Dec
- Apr/May/Jun 2021 (issue 39) Booking 25 Jan, Material 8 Feb, on sale 22 Mar
- Jul/Aug/Sep 2021 (issue 40) Booking 24 May, Material 31 May, on sale 21 Jun
- Oct/Nov/Dec 2021 (issue 41) Booking 20 Jul, Material 27 Jul, on sale 21 Sep
Contact Deon Braun for the latest advertising rates for digital, website, social media, and competitions.
Our goal is to make advertising easy to book, affordable, effective, and highly targeted, to achieve the best result for each client.
Pay for your advert quickly and safely using SnapScan (and see QR code down the page).
Then email Deon to confirm your booking and to send us your content.
- Inform trail runners about your offerings.
- Attract and keep new followers.
- Change lives with your offerings.
- Show potential buyers what you can do for them.
- Remind existing clients of the benefits of your products.
Consider collaborating with us to promote your event or product through our digital edition, website, and social media.
We don’t do hard-sell, and you will feel no sense of pressure after you’ve enquired.
We’ve had the pleasure of working with some exciting brands and events since 2011, including:
32Gi, adidas, Addo Elephant Trail Run, AfricanX Trailrun, Altra, Asics, Biogen, Brooks, Bryton, Camelbak, Capestorm, Chariot Carriers, Columbia, Compressport, Dodo Trail (Mauritius), Enduren, Featherbed Trail Run, Feetures, First Ascent, Giant’s Cup Trail Run, Glencairn Trail Run, Golden Gate Challenge, Harrismith Mountain Race, Hi-Tec, Himalayan 100 Mile Stage Run (India), Hoka One One, Iamsuperbar, IceBreaker, Injinji, inov-8, Julbo, K-Way, Knysna Oyster Festival, KZN Trail Running, KURO-Bo, Leatherman, Ledlenser, Lisa Raleigh/Super Scoop, Mac Mac Ultra, Magnetic South, Merrell, NAKD bars, Nativa/Go!/Turbovite, New Balance, Nuzest, On shoes, Otter African Trail Run, Oxpecker Trail Run, Pekant, Pure Adventures, racefood, Reebok, Royal Raid (Mauritius), Rugani, Runtheberg, Rushbar, Sabrina Love Ocean Challenge, Salomon, Saucony, Skyrun, SPOT, Squirrel’s Nut Butter, Stagger Trail, StaminoGro, Suunto, Tekkie Town, The North Face, TomTom, Trailnuggets, Trek bars, Ultra-trail Cape Town, Ultra-Trail Drakensberg, Vivobarefoot, Warrior Race, Wildtrail, Wild Series, Wildlands Conservation Trust, Wolkberg Trail Run, Zini Beach ‘n Bush, and more.
How should I advertise?
It’s commonsense that there is no one-size-fits-all marketing solution.
So we focus on being as good as we can at being effective for both of our customers (advertisers and readers). We strive to help readers find the solutions to their trail running needs. And we work with those with services and products get them to our readers in the most cost- and time-effective way.
- Digital magazine
- Social media
- Website (this one!)
- Competitions combining some or all the above
- Surveys (2020 Reader Survey with Brooks Running)
When should I advertise?
Placing advertising in TRAIL magazine is a good marketing option if you:
- Are a trail running event organiser with an event to promote in the next month to several months.
- Sell trail running products like apparel, electronic training devices, eyewear, hydration, running shoes, sunblock, and sports nutrition.
Even under the TRAIL magazine umbrella, there will be options that will perform better than others. You will get honest advice when we analyse your offering, before we make any recommendations.
When is the right time to advertise?
Timing and consistency are important ingredients in the recipe for success.
- A 100 miler event needs more preparation and planning from a reader, so there’s no point advertising yours two months before race day. You need a long-term view.
- And ditto for products. A flash-in-the-pan approach where you appear for one issue a year isn’t going to be as effective as consistently showing up in multiple issues.
Let us help you
My job is to help you decide on the best choice for you. That might mean I suggest you don’t advertise through TRAIL at all. You won’t be the first person I’ve pointed in another direction.
That’s because I believe in treating others the way I’d like to be treated. You may have run the gauntlet of poor advice from plumbers, roof repair companies, car salesmen, life insurance brokers, and the like. I have too, and don’t want you having that experience with TRAIL magazine. For me, it’s about building a reputation of authenticity, based on being true to oneself.
My job is to help you navigate the options using my 23 years of magazine marketing experience, and advise you honestly and ethically.
Deon Braun, TRAIL magazine founder
- Published four times a year.
- Launch date: December 2011
- Issues to date: 37
- Next issue: Jan/Feb/Mar 2021, on sale 14 December 2020
Enquire if your brand seeks exclusive survey insights for our 2021 survey, conducted in Q4 of 2020.
TRAIL magazine distribution
Digital. Available worldwide through: